Reconnect Through Prayer and Fasting
Prayer February 17 – April 3
Rather than our customary Lenten fast, St. James UMC will embark upon a church-wide prayer experience that takes place every Monday following the first day of Lent. We are engaging in collective, centering prayer in order to walk in greater unity as a church by intentionally giving up (or fasting from) negative thoughts about particular circumstances in our lives and our society at large. We will pray for God’s grace, mercy, and love to move in every circumstance. Our desire is that our church stand on the word of God and pray for God’s will both simultaneously and collectively.
The entire congregation is invited to join the St. James Prayer line each Monday at 6:00 A.M. during Lent.
Conference Call Number: (206) 279-9167, Code: 126918#
Weekly Prayer Focus
- February 22nd – Prayers for deeper experiences of love of God, neighbor, and self (Matt. 22:37-39)
- March 1st – Prayers for enemies and those who persecute us (Matt. 5:44)
- March 8th – Prayers for all community leaders (1 Timothy 2:1-2)
- March 15th – Prayers for families and children (Numbers 6:24-26)
- March 22th – Prayers for the healing of our land (2 Chronicles 7:14)
- March 29th – Prayers for the church to be as one and walk in Resurrection power (John 17:20-25)
Ask God what you should fast from. Fast from what God says for as long as God says. By the power of the Holy Spirit repent, turn to God and receive God’s healing and refreshing power in every area of your life.
- Negative thinking
- Judging others
- Fear, Lust, Hatred
- Over indulgence (food, drink, social media, etc.)
- Anything that hinders you from walking in the will of God
Our hope is that through this time of centering, we will experience the flow of God’s power and grace and move to higher heights as a spiritual community. We believe that this movement of prayer will not only provide healing and strength for St. James but also for the people touched by the circumstances for which we will be praying.